On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 5:29:38 PM UTC+2 Stobot wrote:

I agree with most of the points of where fields are more useful than tags
> as you get deeper and deeper into organization, and the methods make sense,
> but often there's talk about a performance implication that I don't
> understand, but am hoping to as I'm kind of a performance junkie.

Field values and
Tag values are internally indexed since TW version 5.1.20

Backlinks are indexed since 5.1.22

See: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Release%205.1.20 and search for "indexer" to
see the release message and the link to the PR in the repo.

> So my questions are:
> 1. Is the "bad" type of "tag pollution" related to number of unique tags,
> or number of tiddlers *with* tags?

At the moment it should only be a "user management" problem, not a
performance problem any more.

> Or both? For example I use my main TiddlyWiki for project organization and
> most details are in fields, but almost every tiddler is tagged as either a
> task, project, meeting, etc. So, I have a small number of unique tags, but
> high number of tagged items.

Filters should be reasonably performant for your use-case

2. What is the source of the associated negative performance impact?

It was the number of _all_ tiddlers. As Jeremy mentioned there in the
release-note with 60 000 tiddlers the refresh time improved by the factor
of 3.
Refresh time will matter, if you eg: Switch tabs ...

> I assume it has something to do with indexing - and if so there's probably
> a speed vs. memory tradeoff.

Yes, ... We trade more memory consumption for better speed _now_

-mario