Hi Craig,

Hold the horses before detailing the requests!

I think the solution to this problem lies with convincing the user
group that single spaces between sentences is *the* way to go instead
of accommodating their request. It is a fact that any professional
document – a newspaper, a book – does have only one space after a
sentence. Thanks to Typography for Lawyers [1] for pointing this out
to me. TW automatically changes double spaces to single, and this has
caused a glitch in our proofing system.

Curly quotes are new to me. They are different to straight quotes.  To
illustrate compare the two quotes:
"This is the one", sang the Stone Roses
“This is the one”, sang the Stone Roses

The latter uses curly quotes.

“I don't like those ‘tadpole quotes’ you are using”, said the proof reader
"But I am not using 'em", I said.

The truth was that both proof reader and I were (kind of) right.  I
think Word was converting cut and pasted TiddlyText containing my
straight quotes into curly quotes because Word thought the that was
the thing that the proof reader wanted. It was not.  However, looking
into the issue, I have found out about the curly quote, and I have
become a fan. I'm seeing them everywhere now.

“Curly quotes are cool!”, said Dan from Galooph this morning
“But how do you make them”, I said.
Dan opened terminal on is Mac.
“alt open square bracket for the opening quote and shift alt square
bracket to close”, he explained showing the effects as he typed.

Thanks for all the help. I think I am on track now.

ALex
ps More details here about quotes here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Typing_quotation_marks_on_a_computer_keyboard

http://www.multiurl.com/g/64