Let me rephrase this long and rambling question.

Using the CaptureKeysMacro, can I set up key combinations as seen on
google - press "g" and then "i" to go to inbox, for example?  The
point is that you press one key //and then// another one - you don't
have to press them together.  Is this doable?

See http://bradleymeck.tiddlyspot.com/#CaptureKeysMacro

It looks like several people have asked about getting better key-
combination support in the past and gone wanting...is it an orphan
topic?

Trey