I think what he means is that when you import files into TW as embedded
images or text that the TW rapidly becomes too big to run on a mobile
device. The single-file approach is technically more mobile, but the
limitations of computing power and browser capability mean that it is
functionally less useful than linking to files and images that are in an
external directory.

To me, what would make sense is that when you drop an external local image
file (jpg,png,gif,,etc.) into TW it would create an image link to that
file, preferably with a relative address. I would not require TW to verify
that the contents of the file are really image data.

Other file types (e.g. PDF,DOC) would just create an external link.

Dragging or dropping into an open tiddler would append the img or ext link
to the bottom (or to the cursor location if possible).

This way you could easily transport your TW  and supporting files just by
copying, zipping,  or synching a single  directory.

The ambiguous situation would be that of a text (.txt, ini ... other?)
file. I suppose some people might want the file to be imported into its own
tiddler since that is within TW's capabilities.  A configuration might
allow the user to specify how he/she wants links to text to be handled
(embedded or linked).

Thanks for listening!
Mark