On Sunday, November 30, 2014 12:49:13 PM UTC-8, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> These days, I tend to write things by starting with MS Word outline
> mode, sticking things in various places, adding levels, dragging outline
> items around.
>
> I really haven't seen anything like that in Tiddly, or in anything built
> from Tiddly.
>
> Frankly, I think it's architectural.  I keep thinking that Tiddly would
> be a lot more interesting if it's architecture started as a structured
> document, with a thin viewing layer; rather than as, essentially, an
> interpreter that ingests and renders tiddlers.

It is completely within the architectural capacity of TiddlyWiki to
represent this kind of complex, multi-level outline.

Outliners generally work from the top down, defining the topic *structure*
first, and then adding content; however, TiddlyWiki generally works from
the bottom up, creating ad-hoc content first, and then re-factoring and
organizing it later.

Despite this difference is approach, both methods can produce the same
resulting combination of structure and content.  In TiddlyWiki, you use
tiddlers to store the content, with tags on those tiddlers to define topics
and sub-topics.  TiddlyWiki also offers the added benefit that the tags
themselves can be tiddlers, so that the outline can include content at all
branching levels, not just the leaves.

What is not *currently* implemented is an interface that lets you easily
define the tag hierarchy before you define the content tiddlers that use
those tags. However, since TiddlyWiki is extremely customizable, it is
possible to create such an interface, that allows you to create the full
branching "tagsonomy", including support for drag-and-drop re-ordering.

As an alternative to reproducing a top-down outliner, another interesting
possibility would be to use something like Felix Kupper's TaskGraph plugin
[1] to *draw* a free-form diagram that graphically illustrates the
connections between topics, sub-topics, and content tiddlers.

[1] http://wkpr.de/hosting/tmp/tw5/taskgraph/

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman