Hey Neil.

I think it is exactly the right place to discuss the hangout. Also, I can relate to what you say, putting people in silos might put them off of developing further and you are right that people should always be aware of the possibilities they have and how they get there (you will never use excel to plot diagrams and approx. function, when all you are told about excel is that you can use it for static tables of numbers) (similiarly: I did not advance in vim, because they told me that I can write text with it)

(Note: here comes what I think about the discussion)
However, I also think that the discussion missed parts of the problem. I don't think TW has the problem that users find it hard or overwhelming to get into TW, because people aren't stupid, they are smart, and everyone can be a total pro at TW in a couple of days (and by that i also mean filters/widgets and all the nice stuff), if they know what their goal is.

I think the problem is that TiddlyWiki has no use cases. People simply don't know what to use TW for, because it isn't good at anything else other than itself. And part of the reason might be: It is to complex to be used for simple note-taking (and therefore not optimized), yet it is too restricted to be used for more (like Evernote).

Let me expand on that. For me, I feel like TiddlyWiki is a bubble. It is essentially isolated from the rest of the world and the people who enter the bubble see how nice and powerful TW is and imagine all the wonderful ways it can be used. But it is hard to actually use TW in practice.
To give an example of what I mean:

- TW is used for presenting structured information to others, but wordpress and other cms software/apps are much more successful at that. - TW is used for documenting things, however, you have to put in a lot of work to get a system that works good. (Thats why sysadmins use it) - TW is used to archive information, but only good at doing so with textual information. - Traditional wikis are used to collaboratively work on information, yet TW isn't good at that.

So it seems its not "TiddlyWiki - use me for wiki stuff" but rather "TiddlyWiki - Find out what to use it for, then find out how to make it do that".

Here is a little experiment I did: Search for "Why is Evernote great?" on Google and read through the lifehacker articles and whatnot, but replace the word 'Evernote' with 'TiddlyWiki' in your head. You will notice that not one of them talks about TiddlyWiki and that not because they originally talk about Evernote, but its because not one of them says: "I like Evernote because it is good at note-taking, linking/tagging information and writing/editing".
They all say: "I like Evernote because it is well connected with the world".

/Andreas

P.S.: In fact there are quite a few articles with sentences like: "I prefer a simpler, more streamlined note taking app over Evernote."