I had the same problem and saw that others also reported it. I spent a lot
of time trying the same things you've tried. What worked in the end was
exporting all my tiddlers to json format, following the instructions Eric
gave here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a7d986a2-e389-49f3-929d-6cb1aee6ff7a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
I was then able to drag the exported file into an empty new version without
any errors.
cmari

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c913a98d-c329-4bef-962e-f47c6ae3b53b%40googlegroups.com.