Great thread. There's a bunch of points I'd like to respond to:

Firstly, to respond to Evan's original request, I also think that the
sidebar tabs should be selectable just like the toolbar icons.

Mario expresses several concerns:

> At the moment TW is configured to death already.

My goal is to make TiddlyWiki flexible and useful for people who aren't yet
ready to delve into wikitext and deep customisation. I try to make a call
about which customisations should have a user interface based both on the
norms of other applications (themes, palettes, language etc) and the
discussions in the community. (A good example is the recent addition of a
UI for disabling camelcase in response to persistent feedback that it was
wanted).

> if you have a look at empty.html. It has already 1218 shadow tiddlers

In my experience, the number of shadow tiddlers alone doesn't have as much
impact on performance as one might think. As Mario notes elsewhere, the
issue is really around optimising the performance of the various list
traversals used in the UI.

Then there are these points from Mat:

> If (if) one wanted to make a pull request to split out - just as a
concrete example - the "New journal" and "New journal here" features, and
provide them as a plugin instead, how would one go about this?

Rather than replacing the current buttons I'd be inclined to create new
buttons, and have the plugin provide shadow tiddlers that hides the
original ones by default (the user could always override their visibility
if they wanted them back).

> Are the interfaces defined (not UI, I mean code-to-code)? Do all e.g
"tools" (buttons) have the same interface parameters?

A button is just a transcluded tiddler. Here's the "home" button:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/ui/PageControls/home.tid

It basically boils down to <$button message="tm-home">, with additional
complexity to handle tooltips, and optionally showing icon vs. text.

In the case of tiddler toolbar buttons, the current tiddler is set to the
tiddler that is being operated on.

> I used toolbuttons as an example, is there much difference for other
features? Can the various components be categorized/segregated based on
characteristics and how easily they'd be externalized? Are there any
established such categories?

I'm not sure how you'd measure how easily they'd be externalised. Are you
really asking whether chunks of the TiddlyWiki UI can be made into plugins
so that people can choose a faster but less configurable UI?

Rather than chunking the existing UI, I'd be more inclined to replace it:
to replace the page template itself, and build up a new UI, grafting in
bits of the core where they're needed. Switchable page templates is
something I'd be interested in adding to support the people who want to
build custom UIs for their users while using the TW coreUI for themselves.

Unused shadow tiddlers would be left in the core, but they wouldn't have
much impact on performance.

> Would pluggifying e.g tools mean that if they were then plugged in so
that the resulting TW appears just like the current unmodified version,
then we'd get an even bigger file than the current unmodified because
plugins presumably also carry some extra stuff, or is this very marginal?

There may well be bits of the core that might/should be split off into
separate plugins, but I think that should be done based on their bulk/size
rather than performance impact.

Finally, Danielo says:

> a totally modular tiddlywiky is something I dream about

You've said something similar before, and I'm interested to make sure that
I understand what you mean precisely. TiddlyWiki is already ridiculously
modular in the sense of everything being a separate tiddler, but I think
you mean that you want to be able to be selective about what parts of the
core are included in a particular wiki, is that right?

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Danielo Rodríguez <rdani...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Interesting ideas Mat. I have no idea what to answer, but a totally
> modular tiddlywiky is something I dream about
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2e86146e-671b-44c4-ac8a-77ebcbb975c0%40googlegroups.com
> .

Jeremy Ruston