Hi Erwan,

> Steve I think that your use case is interesting because it shows a
> limitation of sorting with TW filters (although imho in this specific case
> the best solution would be to sort the list of tags automatically every
> time a tag is added to a tiddler).

I think TiddlyWiki should *never* sort a list-field when adding or removing
an item, unless specifically instructed to do so via something like
Matabele's listops, the tags field being just a special case of a generic
list-field.

> I think another case with the same limitation is when one wants to sort a
> list of tiddlers by the number of times they are used as tags (i.e. number
> of tiddlers tagged with them).

I wonder if it would be possible to implement new "sort" filter operators
> which would allow the usage of a sub-filter like this

This sounds to me that -- for the purposes of sorting -- we wish for
something like a "virtual field", by which we can sort after we've created
it "in-memory". A *sortby* filter could "sort by the output of filter
expression evaluated against an item". This filter expression could be
passed to the operand as either a variable or text reference as we'd have
no other way to chuck a "subfilter" within a filter expression, e.g.

<$vars sortfilter="[<currentTiddler>tagging[]]">
<<list-links filter:"[all[]sortby<sortfilter>]">>
</$vars>

'The above should cater for the OP's requirement, assuming the *sortby* filter
would:

   1. evaluate each item in the input set against the specified filter in
   the operand
   2. sort the items in the input set with respect to whatever was returned

It could / perhaps should even be...

<<list-links filter:"[all[]sortby:nsort<sortfilter>]">>

...to avail any core sorting algorithms.

The count would be:

<$vars sortfilter="[<currentTiddler>tagging[]count[]]">
<<list-links filter:"[all[]sortby<sortfilter>]">>
</$vars>

...requiring, well, a nonexisting "count" filter.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0fd70eb7-1315-4e10-aff7-37ba9bd6af23%40googlegroups.com.