That mostly worked.  The only problem now is with the template tiddler I
used to create the new event tiddlers.

Here's the body of the tiddler:

\define empire_lookup()
{{EmpireEventLookupTable##$(thejointype)$}}
\end
<$set name=thejointype value={{!!jointype}}>
{{!!planet}} <<empire_lookup>> <$link to={{!!faction}}><$view
field=faction></$link>

</$set>

With planet names that contain spaces, there's no problem.  With ones that
don't, the name doesn't show up as a link

My solution was to replace the {{!!planet}} part with <$link
to={{!!planet}}>{{!!planet}}</$link>.  Functionally, this works, but
planets with a space in the name have the link show up as a missing tiddler
link, because it's trying to find a tiddler whose title contains square
brackets.  I can click on the part that {{!!planet}} renders as and bring
up the planet tiddler, but I'd like it so it doesn't look like I have a
bunch of missing tiddlers where I do not.

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 11:08 PM, Eric Shulman <elsdes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 8:32:51 PM UTC-8, David Allen wrote:
>>
>> The problem is, the value that shows up in the new event tiddler does not
>> contain the square brackets, which makes it not work with the filter
>> above.  What I'd like is some way to construct a string that has square
>> brackets along with the field value and can be passed into a widget and
>> work correctly.
>>

>> When I do [[{{!!planet}}]], the result is exactly that string,
>> [[{{!!planet}}]].  When I try to put it into a widget, it comes up as
>> [[$parameter$]].  I'd like to find a way to construct a string literal, but
>> I'm not sure how to do so.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with this?
>>

> You can use the <$set> widget with the title filter.  This will add
> brackets to the field value if it contains spaces.  The result can be
> passed into a widget param.  For example:
> <$set name="result" filter="""[title{!!somefield}]""">
> <$text text=<<result>>/>
> </$set>
>
> let me know if this helps
>
> enjoy,