Hi, Jean —

I can relate.  I too keep a running TiddlyWiki, which I archive out each
year.  I don't exactly start fresh, but I do offload my journal tiddlers,
finished project tiddlers, and anything that isn't "current" to last year's
archive.  The good news for folks like us us that the archives are still
perfectly usable and searchable.

Like you, though, I recognize the need to stay current.  I was cautiously
excited about TW5 back in 2014 but the heavy investment I had made in using
TiddlyWiki Classic (TWC) day-in and day-out led me to put off a proper
upgrade for a full year.  It was too frustrating to be faced with a new
learning curve to perform daily tasks that had become second nature to me
in TWC.  But now that I'm using TW5 daily, I can report that the
*excitement* of discovering it for the first time is back, as well.  It
didn't take long for that excitement and possibility to outstrip the
anxiety and frustration of being back at the bottom of the learning curve.
 And the new interface has certainly grown on me!

As a TWC user coming over to TW5, I highly recommend getting at least one
plugin:
http://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/tw2parser/

You may not plan to bring any tiddlers from the past into your new TW5
file, but you never know when you might need to import something — and the
TW2Parser will allow you to view its older-style markup (mostly) as it was
intended to be viewed.

> 2) I want some kind of "open all" associated action associated with a tag.
> I want to see all the tiddlers with a certain tag in the story view. I
> don't just want a list of titles but the contents.
>
> I was able to use a list to show all tiddlers with a tag. But I had to
> paste it into each tag's tiddler individually and I want the tiddlers
> displayed separately not the way list does it.

Try installing the showtaggedtiddlers macro I've attached and then putting
<<showtaggedtiddlers "TAGNAME">> in each tag's tiddler.  This will display
a "substory" of all the tiddlers within that tiddler.  To go to the
individual tiddlers themselves (for editing), you can click their titles.
 You can also selectively "close" them to narrow down what you're looking
for.

Here's the code of that macro if you'd rather copy it from here and put it
in your own tiddler (just tag that tiddler $:/tags/Macro):

\define showtaggedtiddlers(tag)

<$list filter="[tag[$tag$]]">

!<$button message="tm-close-tiddler" class="tc-btn-invisible">{{$:/core/
images/close-button}}</$button> <$link to={{!!title}}><$view field="title"
/></$link>

<$transclude/>

</$list>
\end

I haven't looked yet, but if such a solution has any appeal, we might be
able to find and hack the search results tiddler so that it uses the same
macro to display its results.  I think that would give you something pretty
darn close to your number (1).

Oh!  I've just noticed Matabele has a more involved (but way more elegant!)
solution for opening multiple tags that you can find in this thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/substory$20target/tiddlywiki/Eqcsb-B6iLk/GRx0DXmgmPYJ>
.

And, if I'm not mistaken, an "open all" item on the tag pill dropdown is
something Jeremy still plans to implement as a core feature of TW5 at some
point.

3) I would like a single line break to translate into a <br>. Currently I
> have to do two line breaks to force a new paragraph. I don't want to be
> typing html <br> into my posts.

See here:
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Hard%20Linebreaks%20in%20WikiText

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b78372d5-4740-4a1a-b2e7-82b0dd9d1b3a%40googlegroups.com.