Hi

A few matters arising from the hangout with regard lowering the barriers to
contribution (I am still in the process of overcoming them):

1. The style guide for code was hard to find.
Although I now have a copy of TiddlyWiki/Dev on my HDD, I couldn't tell you
where to find this on the www. This suggests a necessity for a new 'field'
in the ControlPanel/Info -- namely a "Loaded From" field.

It would be nice if this were automatically filled in whenever a wiki loads
from a url  but, if this were technically difficult, it could be manually
entered by the author. This needs some king of switch mechanism, as it
would be useless if I downloaded a wiki from the www, saved it to a path on
my HDD, and when I reloaded, the field reported the path on my HDD.

2. In addition to a style guide, we need to publish settings for a few of
the common automated formatters.
I currently tend to use JSFormat which uses the jsbeautify library, and/or
Atom Beautify, as I find these can be configured to closely match the TW
style. There are likely a few other auto formatting libraries fro which
settings needs be published.

3. The TW style makes auto-formatting difficult.
       (a) all of the libraries use a space after the comma in function
parameters by default. There's a good reason for this; parameters lists can
then be wrapped at one of these spaces at the desired wrapping width
(another standard which should be set; perhaps 80.) Why not adopt this
convention as standard in the TW code style?
       (b) the (function(){  })(); wrapper necessitates a manual reformat:
firstly, to remove the additional tab between the wrappers, and secondly,
to insert a space before the first curly bracket (which is required for all
other functions.)

4. There is a need for good documentation describing the whole process of
setting up a standard development environment for TW using a selection of
common editors, git and Github (something akin to gitflow.) I might
undertake this at some stage, but as this is still a work-in-progress for
me, I can't at this time.

6. A niggle, but one that needs attention:
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/2227
For the past 6 months I was unable to use git for TW5, or build a nodejs
version from the master repo due to this bug. I thought this resulted from
something in my environment and went through several cycles of deleting all
of my branches in an attempt to fix this. Only recently did someone
identify a fix (my PR's now have to include this fix, as I had to merge the
fix into my branch to continue working on Github.)

7. Points 2 and 3 would go a long way toward tidying up commit histories,
but:
(a) a guide is still needed with respect how to collapse my own commit
histories into a single commit to the master repo
(b) a guide is still needed with respect how to separate the file changes
into separate commits to the master repo (once collapsed.)

regards

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c037f72f-08f4-4ac1-ac60-9ddc54837e20%40googlegroups.com.