As there has not been a reply to this post, I presume the answer to my
question is no.

Thanks to everyone who took time to read this post.

I have found a checklist plugin that will help create checklists without
having to create tiddlers.

http://grosinger.net/tw5-checklist/

I can use a button to create a new checklist and then add the checklist to
a tabbed tiddler, providing a similar function to my original request.

Thanks again,

J mc

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2d2009fa-28f1-4020-81a0-05eef919c01d%40googlegroups.com.