Good stuff, you have uncovered a bug in the navigator widget. (it initiates
the creation/editing of tiddlers) When you create a new tiddler by editing
the 'phantom' tiddler (shown as 'missing' in the story) the navigator
assumes that the tiddler already exists. It should check and if it does not
exist initialise the 'draft of' tiddler with an empty string.

What you see is the result of the preview with a undefined content - the
'undefined' is given to the markdown extension, which then fails.

If you like you can report it as a bug on github (if you have a github
account), otherwise I will open a bug.

All the best

BJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/1b101505-5b08-48b1-b25a-0b1add231591%40googlegroups.com.