After much playing around, it appears that the search text being saved is
because of Firefox, not TiddlyWiki. I have been able to duplicate this
behavior in other sites. I do not know why this has started up, but clearly
something changed with Firefox, and the timing was merely so unfortunate as
to have me believe it was an issue with TW.

Birthe, thank you for showing me how to properly create external links.

c pa, I fear I have cost you some time, so let me apologize for that and
thank you for your help. I was able to get this figured out because of your
suggestions.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f8f3fe27-f892-4106-8a49-eb124655771d%40googlegroups.com.