Hej Jan,

I think I know where you are coming from (I read your thoughts here:
http://slidesnstories.tiddlyspot.com/#TextStretch%20by%20Thomas%20Elminger)
and I think it would be interesting to develop a concept for scientific
documents authored using TW5.

Tobias points towards something that is critical for my CSS numbering
solution: it works DOM-oriented and thus – as for now – on a per tiddler
base. It is based on presentation and agnostic of content and structure.
For scientific work I am afraid this is not enough. Important features of
TiddlyWiki are transclusion, lists and filters … I think a scientific
authoring tool should be able to deal with that. So a broader concept is
needed. Let me explain some thoughts: In a perfect world, …

1. Authors would write chapters or sub-chapters as tiddlers and collect
them in chapters and publications (books). A book usually is built up in a
traditional structure like

   -     Title
   -     Contents Overview
   -     Foreword
   -     Chapter 1
      -     Sub-chapter 1.1
         -     and so on 1.1.1
            -     <<ref "see chapter 2.1">>
            -     term definition 1.1.1.1
         -     Chapter 2
      -     and so on 2.1
         -     reference to term definition 1.1.1.1: <<ref "{{term
         definition}}">>
      -     Conclusion

2. Publishers would ask for one document with all the content to reformat
it for other publication channels like printed books, e-books and the like.
What would this master document be? A story river?

3. Schools would possibly put the book on a server (in a DB like Danielo’s
here <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/LyXt4oneBKI/FGbwFy2JBAAJ>?
or in a TWederation Wiki?) where teachers/students can download/connect to
it.

4. Teachers would collect chapters from several books as readings for their
students. Can they use TW for this? How would this affect numbering of
chapters and references?

5. Students would make their own annotations or cite excerpts in their own
works.

A fool-proof authoring system would offer solutions and/or guidelines to
use cases like these. To make a relevant contribution for scientific
authors we should at least have a concept for 1. and 2. How should an
author structure his/her work? What do we use single tiddlers for? How many
levels of (nested) transclusion are acceptable? And so on …

Do you have a concept, Jan, or a real-world example wiki, we could use for
this? It could be very helpful to develop and test even small contributions
against such a reference project.

Kind regards, Thomas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/66ad8007-2dfb-4c8b-8092-0b8d8401fc5d%40googlegroups.com.