You can use a filter that if conditions are met shows a local (not global)
style block.

<$list filter="<my conditions>">
 <target> {display:none;}
</$list>

A potential problem with this is that you probably want to use it
generally, on whichever tiddler fulfills some criteria, but that the "most
styles" even if they are declared in a local style block, will be applied
globally. I.e if the style concerns, say, .tc-tiddler-title then that
affects all titles...

One limited way to get around this is to css target the title of the
tiddler. This is of course very specific. It requires that you use "title
links". Because of the html structure of a tiddler, you can unfortunately
not reach other elements within the specific tiddler BUT you can use the
title with e.g :before and :after pseudo elements so to include e.g an
image. Yes, limited.

However, this is probably how I would currently solve the problem; Use a
"shell tiddler" (my lingo) that displays its content via a custom
viewtemplate.... and put whichever tiddler you want into this, by use of a
filter that has [your words] "conditions external to the tiddler itself".
You kind of see this in the released-for-help version of Article Tiddlers
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/IWJJpx6L6O4>.

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cbd3f039-3a85-48c6-864a-0b423386d1d9%40googlegroups.com.