Well, I actually managed to figure it out soon after posting this, but the
reason for the fix was a little weird so I'll document it for others. It
seems that for javascript changes the tiddler doesn't automatically
refresh. Instead you need to either:
* Close and reopen the page
* Click the refresh button in tiddlywiki (you can add it in the tools menu)
After that the changes should show up.