On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 7:34:03 AM UTC+1, Daniel Cunningham wrote:

> Finally. some observations and questions for you veterans (keeping in mind
> that I'm not at all familiar with the code base yet):
>
>    - It kind of "bothered" me that the declaration "looks" like it has a
>    "default parameterization", but does not really.  In other words, when you
>    call the macro, if you don't explicitly supply all parameters, it will
>    fail.  That seems a bit fragile, right?
>
> Parameters do have default values, if you define them in the macro \define
section.  IMO you just forgot the : ... see my other post..

>    - Death by whitespace:  I found out if there's any leading whitespace
>    (before the macro definition) the tiddler fails.  Also, if there's any
>    whitespace in the filter list, it will fail.  Again, trying not to seem
>    harsh, but it feels rather fragile.  Am I being unfair?
>
> macros are TW syntax. So whitespace matters, most of the time. ... macro
definitions have to start at the beginning of the line. Similar to headings
and list syntax. ... It's wikitext  ...  powerful wikitext ;)

>    - Is this "macro-ey" stuff kind of like the STL in C++?
>
> In the sense, that macros should abstract away complexity from enduses. ..
yes.

BUT TW macros are basically "text substitutions"  see:
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Macros%20in%20WikiText:%5B%5BMacros%20in%20WikiText%5D%5D%20Macros%20Pragma

>    - Is this "fragility" due to the macro mechanism itself?
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean here? An example would be nice. ...
Most of the time whitespace matters.

TW syntax is used to produce formatted text. .. It's no general purpose
programming language.

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b59da3f3-3669-48ef-8403-78b89ae45f4c%40googlegroups.com.