Ok, thanks for the clarification and tips!  I was not using relative
external links before (I wasn't aware that was possible).  I'm definitely
switching to that way of linking now.  Especially since most of the stuff I
link to are in a dropbox folder and I'm running out of storage (for the
free service). So I'm probably going to move everything to a different path
now.

I'm thinking I might just avoid the node.js setup, however. I liked the
idea of it, and if it's a pain to set it up to link to other files, it's
not worth it to me.  One benefit I noticed is the node.js version was
running faster when I would save changes or delete tiddlers.  My .html
version has gotten fairly big and there is now a slight delay (maybe 0.5
seconds) when it saves changes. But the node.js version is instant.  I also
sync my TW in dropbox, so I liked the idea of only syncing smaller files
with each change, rather than the entire thing. But linking to PDFs is far
more important for me.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/60ebe6b9-8ac3-4f2a-92d7-a7c27e0b478d%40googlegroups.com.