Eric, Thanks for the help.
I've gotten farther.
This is what I have now:
''Tiddlers with the tag 'Journal', sorted by modified. Tiddler.text displayed
on same line.''
<$list filter="[tag[Journal]sort[modified]]">
<section>
<ul>
<$link><<currentTiddler>></$link><<currentTag>> <$transclude>
</ul>
</section>
</$list>

Unfortunately <<currentTag>> is not returning any string. I also want to
display each line with "|" with leading/ending "|" like the TW2 tables. A
matching heading for the table would be nice. I've been reading HTML
documentation unsuccessfully.
What I'd like to achieve would look like

| Title      | Tags              | Text |
| 2017.08.08 | Journal projectid | Bla. |

(With the heading line boldest or otherwise set apart.)
Alan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/74baac57-f70b-402c-9b5b-c1bb3f8f596a%40googlegroups.com.