Hey guys,

I'm a software developer and just started learning TiddlyWiki a few days
ago. I'm trying to grasp the fundamentals before delving too deep in the
complicated stuff.

Transclusion seems like an important concept to grasp, and I could get by
with the general understanding that it's simply including the contents of a
macro, variable, or tiddler field in some context, whether it be in the
body of a tiddler, or as the value of an HTML attribute, but I can't help
but question the ambiguity in the documentation, especially when it
compares transclusion to substitution.

The definition <http://tiddlywiki.com/#Transclusion>of transclusion in the
documentation describes it as a process of including the contents of one
tiddler into another tiddler.

The Transclusion and Substitution
<http://tiddlywiki.com/#Transclusion%20and%20Substitution> documentation
basically describes every type of substitution as an example of
transclusion, whether it's a tiddler field, macro, or variable you are
referencing, and whether or not you are doing it in the body of a tiddler,
or in a filter, or as the value of an attribute. It then goes on to say
that the key distinction between transclusion and substitution is that
substitution happens before WikiText processing, so it's just a simple
substitution of text without WikiText processing. Transclusion, however,
includes WikiText processing.

But the example it gives for transclusion of a macro in an attribute:

<$text text=<<myMacro>>/>

..seems to be just regular substitution, since there is no WikiText
processing.

This confusion seems apparent in other places in the documentation as well,
such as in HTML in WikiText <http://tiddlywiki.com/#HTML%20in%20WikiText>,
where it describes examples that use tiddler fields attr={{tiddler}} as
using transclusion, but then the macro examples <div title=<<MyMacro
"Brian">>> do not mention transclusion at all.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/61590837-dfe3-421c-9d84-d69e545dcda3%40googlegroups.com.