Hmmm... red. What a friendly colour. Not sure if this is intended to be
purely information of some kind or whether you actually want some help but
I'll assume the latter.

> On my mac, it unzips into my download directory. I figure I should move it
> someplace, so I sent the whole directory to my Documents folder.

It should unzip right next to wherever the zip file is. Presumably the zip
file was in your downloads directory? This is fine. You can move it if you
want to. It doesn't matter.

I'm not sure where the "backup" directory should go, I initially placed it
> inside Documents - but it failed to work (probably because I allowed this
> folder to be placed on the iCloud drive and my paths aren't working), since
> moved to a newly created Docs folder: /Users/jwh/Docs

I think it just goes in the directory you just downloaded and unzipped. I
didn't try it. Just delete the entry in the config file to begin with.

I don't know what is meant by the top directory of the repository. I did
> not use Git - I unzipped from the Arlen link and created a directory for
> it. In terminal, I CD (Change Directory) and get to /Users/jwh/Docs
> directory, run "node server" and get a parsing error at location 75
> (wherever that is). I recreate settings.json and copy it into every
> possible location throughout the directory tree and try again

Ok. Well, that directory you made is the top directory of the repository.
I'll revisit my use of the term repository, perhaps that is confusing. I'll
perhaps try just referring to it as the 'tiddlyserver folder'

You need to run this command from the right directory. The one you
downloaded and unzipped. Hopefully you have installed Node. This command
will run node, looking for server(.js). Alternatively, you could run 'node
start'

module.js:471 throw err; ^ Error: Cannot find module
> '/Users/jwh/Docs/server' at Function.Module._resolveFilename
> (module.js:469:15) at Function.Module._load (module.js:417:25) at
> Module.runMain (module.js:604:10) at run (bootstrap_node.js:389:7) at
> startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9) at bootstrap_node.js:502:3

Because you're in the wrong directory so it can't find server.js

So I copy server.js to /Users/jwh/Docs and rerun node server - and now it
> wants /lib files... I realize that I should be in directory
> /Users/jwh/Docs/TiddlyServer-2.0.6 And I get my original parse error at
> location 75

Because it needs all the other files too.

Did you get it to work in the end?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/70288602-ca31-4a5c-a334-023dbac0b590%40googlegroups.com.