On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:49:34 AM UTC+1, Mark S. wrote:

>   It would be interesting to know what features caused the 4x increase in
> the core, despite dropping support for Jquery.

Basically we traded size for convenience and configurability.

With TWclassic, you have 5 main tiddlers, that define the whole UI.
PageTemplate, ViewTemplate,  EditTemplate and 2 bigger StyleSheet tiddlers.

Whenever you want to change something there, you'll need to overwrite the
core tiddlers.
 - This makes updating much more complicated, than today.
 - If you make a small mistake, you'll completely mess up your UI, to a
degree, where it is unusable.

TW5 has configuration parameters, for most of the changes, that where
common in TWc. eg: most button visibilities are configurable now.
ControlPanel alone has ~30 pages.

emptyTW5.html has:

 - 227 config tiddlers, that are active by default.
 - 10+ ViewTemplate related tiddlers
 - 12+ EditTemplate related tiddlers
 - 9+ PageTemplate related tiddlers
 - 1000+ $:/language/ related tiddlers. Those where hardcoded in TWc and
made translations hard and error prone

So it's basically convenience UI based functions, which increase empty.html
size.

IMO we could squeeze out about 50% of the size, without loosing end-user
conveninece but *at the cost of maintainability*. This gives us ~ 1MByte.
... The win, will be lost, when a user includes the 1st jpg-image, to
customize the TW background.

So in the end we just lost maintainablility ... and IMO that's not worth it!

jQuery was initially needed, to level out browser incompatibilities. It's
success showed all browser vendors, what's really important for developers,
and how and where to focus on "web" / browser improvements. ...
Implementing the new specification and development patterns needed time.
But now most of the stuff,  that jQuery invented, is part of current web
standards, which makes jQuery itself "kind of" obsolete. ...

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/6b1089c2-29d5-442f-ad46-6004b15426c1%40googlegroups.com.