Mat,

Have you used the Semi-colon and Colon markup?

In edit you can add all the extra blank lines you want to help with
reading, but when rendered they are removed, however what is rendered uses
a display format that is very clear?

I know this is not an exact answer to your question but I do suggest
exploring what is posible and adopting new methods rather than create new
solutions.

Try this in a Tiddler as an example.

!!!Headings of course

```
Optional headline
```

;Heading
:Item

;Heading 2
:Item2
::Next level
:Back level

:::3 levels

Check out this reference work of Tobias beers's

http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Markup%20Reference

You could also delineate large sections using the block quote

> block
>> quotes
>>> are </dd>easy

I have started using HTML to great effect, if you know it, or have a reason to
learn

Also the semi-colon and Colon respond to css class names

;.heading Heading text

:.item Item text

Where

.heading

.item

are classes in a stylesheet

or @@.item Item details inline@@ more text

I use .q for questions and .a for answers

;.q Question

:.a answer

Regards

Tony