On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 6:42:24 PM UTC+1, Zyb wrote:

>  Are you saying that the addon was updated not on browser startup but at
> an arbitrary point in between?

I think, it's a browser background task. ... but there is no description
how updates happen. .. At least I haven't found one ...

> How could I have even noticed that?

I will have a look, if there is a possibility to notify users.

> Why would it render the wikis unsavable until restart (which means losing
> the work already done)?

As I wrote in the other post, it may be needed to reload the tab after a
plugin update. .. I'll have a look, if a "running tab" can detect plugin
updates. ATM I don't know, if there is any signal from the browser and if
we can *reliably detect it*.

> That’s not something that should happen, ever, I think.

You are right. ... But there are always edge cases, a developer didn't
think about. ..

Testing is hard. As I wrote, to test updates you have to make updates.

I can test the plugin with windows 10 and an ubuntu system.
I don't have the possibility to test with macOS. ... So I'm 100% dependent
on user feedback. .. If no feedback happens, .. nothing happens.

Mozilla is switching off the "beta channel
<https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/02/28/discontinuing-support-for-beta-versions/>".

That's what I had to find out, as I started to have a look, how I can use
it.

As I wrote in my first post, the plugin should have not been listed and it
should have not been auto-updated.

At the moment, I try to find out, how to create a signed beta-version, that
can be published at github, without the mozilla store auto-update thing.
The problem then is. ... What happens if users switch from beta to stable
... That's a new mechanism, where things can go wrong. ... AND we have to
test it.

-mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/54a6f8a9-fbd9-4411-899f-e7ccf05d54f8%40googlegroups.com.