Yeah, I switched off auto-updates now ... but ... I mean, I accept that a
browser restart is necessary to load the new version of an addon -- but why
does the mere update process render the previous version non-functional
until the restart? Is that indeed a usual thing happening? I can’t remember
having any such problem with another FF addon before.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/381628b2-8e81-4b5f-b208-d90d6d5fed9b%40googlegroups.com.