Josiah,

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:24:12 PM UTC+1, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

> Ciao wjam & Jerremy
>
> I am using wjam's version. I have been for some weeks now. Its really
> excellent!

Thanks, glad to hear some actual user feedback

> I can only comment from the surface level of what i do.
>
> CASE 1 - *Developing Regular Expressions in TW*. It has been a godsend to
> be able to backtrack multiple versions. IMO the number of PAST VERSIONS to
> save should be user configurable from 1 up to infinity. The reason (that
> working with Regex really brings out) is that you can be developing
> something that later can be used to BRANCH a totally different way ...
> Without that version saved you lose it.
>
> But say I have versions 1 thru 20. And realise that only version 15 and 17
> are special. Can I delete the others? What happens in the editor when I
> load the Tiddler associated with those versions I deleted?

The revision contain a complete copy of original text (before you started
editing) The revision is only stored when you press the commit with */\*
(empty texts are not stored)
If you press the garbage can next to an old version is will have no effect
on any of the other oldtexts, , all others in */\-old  tabs *will still
look the same.
If you don't want to save a revision , either use the ctrl-enter short key
or the commit without the small */\*

> To sum up: Versioning is Good. Very good. For my use case I do NOT need to
> access in the editor directly to all the previous versions. Just know they
> are there if I need. But also be able to delete what I don't.

Indeed the [?] tab allows you to disable tabs which you do not need for
your use case and gives a short description for each of the symbols used on
the tabs.

> CASE 2 - *Writing Screenplays*. Here my need is more limited. Two
> backsteps is way enough for most practical purposes. There is no need for
> "branching" or preservation beyond two previous drafts. I'd simply like to
> be able to look at what I wrote before sometimes.
>
> These variant cases indicate that in Case 1 I'd prefer infinite versions
> saved. In Case 2, two would be enough.
>
> HOW SHOULD IT LOOK? -- Well, in practice I'm only using the wjam view that
> shows things down to character change level. I love how its configurable
> in-situ. In practice I have most of the options OFF. In practice I'm likely
> to just use one mode.
>
> MOANS: Not sure this is solvable but full alignment of editing text and
> what was in the previous version. The preview area is not exactly optimal
> for easy comparison. Under wjam you get this (screenshot) ...
>

> It would be better IMO to put the notes about past versions that currently
> appear above the text in "preview" *under* the text.

I'm working on something like the radio buttons in the Versionstab in the
sidebar

> And, if possible, have an option to totally switch off the display of the
> menu in the preview pane so the previous version can be properly
> top-aligned. Adjustable widths for the editor and preview windows would
> enable better visual alignment too.

This would be difficult to implement.

> IMO that is the best way to compare versions--that the start of a line in
> the editor you can align with the corresponding point in previous version.
> at the moment that seems cumbersome.
>
> For the short term, maybe you can temporarily add some empty lines at the
beginning of your tiddler text in the draft part on the left, so the texts
are aligned
see attached image ;-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/884a4d18-25a9-4057-acb1-4ffd862d2b0e%40googlegroups.com.