Robin,

I can only imagine this would be because your computer is nearing a full
system disk. It healthy in most systems to have more than 20% free.

Otherwise if there are a lot of backup file in the folder at most it would
effect the backup process which would take place during save not at other
times.

There are other conditions like RAM and Windows and Tabs open in browsers,
and other applications you run simultaneously.

If you can explain what conditions your  computer is in when you experience
some slowness in tiddlywiki, I would be happy to provide additional
suggestions.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/58614ad2-b7cf-498a-8142-640caa925d8f%40googlegroups.com.