This conversation reminds me of Evan Blaster's (of formula plugin fame)
work on trying to make TW refresh just important parts automatically in the
backend. Perhaps someone else more familar with that work can comment?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/12d9f04a-d7c4-4951-877c-63e8c059702b%40googlegroups.com.