Hi Dave,

I did create a tocP plugin some time ago:
https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/tocP/

 - It uses a "parent-field" instead of tags to create the TOC structure.
   - It also implements a "new-child-here" button, similar to your +
buttons.

 - It can use different fields to build a TOC.
   - So there can be several tocP's using the same tiddlers, but creating a
different structure

 - I also did create a tocMerge-experiment macro, that allows us to combine
tag-based and field-based TOCs into one outline

So with some work it would be possible to create a relatively flexible
outline structure, if we would combine these functionalities.

It would be also possible to show "caption" or "subtitle" field instead of
the tiddler title, if those fields exist.

An advanced possibility would be to create the structure completely
independent of the tiddler titles. Only using fields.

So renaming tiddlers would not mess with the outline structure. This would
give us much more flexibility.

Just some ideas.

have fun!
mario