My gratitude for your response, Tony,

With the wikitext markup, I was under the impression it was for the tiddler
text body while everything else would be handled by CSS styling and why I
was thinking the markup wouldn't mix well.  I am doing like you suggest and
going with it.  Basically that's how I'm learning TW, taking what I see all
other previous TW'ers done, applying and often tinkering with it.  I do
like TW's preview panel which often shows the results as I try them.

I know I could use styling to do the same, but my Windows and browser
overrides all styling so unfortunately I have no idea what TW with its
basic themes looks like.  That also means I cannot safely alter the visual
theme since my TW's with be provided to others with default themes.  That
was why I was asking elsewhere about an alternate to highlighting something
by text or text background color-- such doesn't work with my system setup.

What does TW with default theme do to indicate the current selected sidebar
tab, I cannot tell.  With vertical tabs, one side of the tab edge
disappears.

Which makes your suggestion about icons in captions, very interesting -- I
could differentiate content tabs from the stock Open, Recent, Tools, More
tabs.  Your menu's TW will keep me busy even more. As we often joke with
our cats-- Stuff! Things!! Pounce!1!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8c633d77-2be3-4091-ab27-30ca8958b782%40googlegroups.com.