@Mark

In deed, your code seems to do the job! Excellent and big thanks. I've
updated the code at toggle-in-field <http://toggle-in-field.tiddlyspot.com/>
and added a cred note. I also skipped the item2 parameter - it was too
specific for my own use case.

Now... somewhat annoyingly... look what I just found! github issue #1957;
Feature:
Allowing the results of checkbox widgets to be stored in a list
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1957>

I haven't quite yet figured out if they got it to work, but I see
indications that the tags field would cause problems which is of course
solved in our variant. Wonder if that went anywhere.

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/63af9678-d878-4fa2-9742-7d08c3239c60%40googlegroups.com.