You omitted that you also have to save an image file to .\images and copy
the name.

It's a lot of steps, especially compared with other products like Evernote.
Dragging and dropping the images, would be the most straight-forward
approach, and, if I understand correctly, should be feasible with the
changes coming in 5.1.20. You could even use a TW on node to collect the
data, and then use Bob or the tools in TW to extract and externalize the
data when you have more time. But of course, you would have to be running
node/Bob at least once in awhile.

The problem with external files is that it becomes messy the minute you
want to organize anything. For instance, if you want to move all of 2019's
files to images/2019, you'll have to find some way to find the
corresponding tiddlers and then rename the _canonical_uri contents. Another
problem with the _canonical_uri approach is that the path can not be easily
redirected. So, for instance, you might want \images on your desktop
machine, but a path that leads to a google drive folder on a mobile device.
The workaround is to present all your external images through a macro,
where the base path can be changed as needed. But wouldn't it be great if a
base-path were already built in?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/9769dfe6-0554-4efc-a86c-b6ccece531f5%40googlegroups.com.