I think you do need to wrap it with a minimum of

<$navigator story="$:/StoryList" >
</$navigator>

In your original post, you said $:/tag/KeyboardShortcut, but it should be
$:/tags/KeyboardShortcut

I'm thinking that the error you're getting suggests something wrong in your
template. Perhaps you could share that?

Good luck!