Honestly, I never understood, why in $:/core/macros/tag the tagpill colours
are defined as hardcoded element styles. I think CSS would make it much
more hackable.

And I also never understood, how the core's contrastcolour macro, that is
involved there, works or should work and if it really does what it should
under all circumstances. E.g. it might be the rgba(...) part is missing
here:

                // If neither colour is readable, return a crude inverse of the
target
                return [255 - rgbTarget[0],255 - rgbTarget[1],255 -
rgbTarget[2],rgbTarget[3]];

But I am happy to see that you found a workaround as well as that
listreveal at least works with several of the palettes included in TW
5.1.21.

Thanks for trying listreveal anyway :)