Hi Stephan

> Anyhow: Don't you think it's a good idea to have this as a core feature?
> Every plugin then simply needs to define one string per required plugin. The
> core could then take care  required plugins are loaded.

Indeed it would be a useful feature if implemented carefully (I wouldn't like
TiddlyWiki to start silently downloading dependencies without user
intervention, for instance). I'm imagining it as a feature of the plugin
library user interface.

But, I'd say a much more serious problem with the plugin library is that it
doesn't properly work in client-server configurations (ie, it copies the
plugins from the library instead of updating tiddlywiki.info with the new
plugin details).

In terms of future development of the plugin library, I believe that it needs
to have a generic HTTP API so that we can connect it up in lots of useful ways.
In particular, it would be great to be able to publish plugins directly from a
wiki in the browser as well as from the command line using Node.js.

(At the moment the plugin library is defined as an HTML endpoint that is loaded
into an iframe and then one talks to it using window.postMessage. It's a weird
architecture but it has allowed us to have a functional plugin library without
any server side logic).

> Of course (I think) you could only require plugins which are either
> a) Official or
> b) In your own library
>
> Is it worth an issue?

The most useful GitHub issues are those that are directly actionable; using at
as a repository for suggestions of things that could be done just fills it up
and makes it hard to see the wood for the trees.

The best next step would be for someone to experiment with an implementation,
and then open an issue referencing it.

Best wishes

Jeremy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/B004F753-55EB-474A-BA7F-3E1950B46170%40gmail.com.