I wish to bounce this here to make it precise before possibly adding it as
a request on github

----

This is a proposal to extend the EditTextWidget or possibly introduce a new
widget to be a simple-to-use unit for user input.

*Problem*
The EditTextWidget does not work for modifying the *current* tiddler nor
for macros due to tiddler refresh after each entered character. And the
possible "circumventional solutions" put a lot of burden on the user and
forces use of additional tiddlers.

*Use cases*
Forms: This is a standard way to collect user input so it should be simple
to cretae forms in TW. (Compare e.g to the Google Forms design UI.) Again,
a major problem is that it is not possible to edit the current tiddler
using the EditTextWidget which forces complexifying things by involving
other tiddlers.

Hacking: I often need to repeatedly set some value for testing stuff but
this either means going in and out of edit mode or, again, use
EditTextWidget but then also involve other tiddlers to prevent refresh.

*Proposal*
An widget that renders as a text area for input but with an associated
"confirm button" associated with it.

I wrote some more detailed suggestions for implementations but rather than
coloring you with my thougts I first want to hear if you have any good
ideas and what you think of the idea to begin with.

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/78ac6a36-8b01-4e70-9564-ad2ce21ecc48%40googlegroups.com.