Moved from GitHub Issues Queue

Folks,

Following on from my speculation in dealing with cases such as the html
details <https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/3353> I would like
your views on the following.

If we could find a way to support the integration of HTML with TiddlyWiki
for these "primitives" I believe this would be very popular, one way maybe
to have some basic functions that "emulate" common html javascript
functions OR extend the way WikiText containing HTML is parsed, so that the
two work better together.

Eg a way to provision the html details with a toggle value.

The idea would be to leverage the rich html environment and reduce the need
for solutions to be built into tiddlywiki when they already live in the
HTML5 standards. If you spend time as I have looking at HTML at
https://www.w3schools.com/ you will see that on many occasions that the
html demands JavaScript which will not (directly) work in tiddlywiki but
more often than not this java script seems really basic, allowing a value
to be set or stored on click or some other primitive operation. Or the
browser contains the value the html has produced from input to states but
we have no way to reference it in the wikitext.

In fact TiddlyWiki has already done as I propose with CSS allowing it to be
a fully supported standard in tiddlywiki as well as permitting it to be
used in response to tiddlywiki tags and other attributes.

I am not saying this is simple, but it potentially is, and I do not have
the experience to implement it.

In some ways Evans formula plugin is doing this by allowing html attributes
to be set using tiddlywiki variables and tiddler/fields.

What remains is I believe a need to connect HTML more closely to the
tiddlywiki internals.

One slightly more complex example may be html forms and php
https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp

 <form> First name:<br>
 <input type="text" name="firstname"><br>
 Last name:<br> <input type="text" name="lastname">
 </form>

  If we could only access the values above we know are stored in the
browser eg firstname lastname

But I think it worthy of investigation, because it would open the world of
HTML5 and related frameworks to users while reducing the need for
"equivalent" widgets like this threads Details widget.
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/3353> It will simplify
what goes into tiddlywiki while at the same time enriching its
capabilities. Further once a subset of tiddlywiki/html5 "methods" are
available it would be easy to translate a wealth of code from html training
and support sites, and users.

Please consider deeply, the return could be massive.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/8125aed8-7762-434f-b404-7245ba31ba9a%40googlegroups.com.