Hi Mat,

Just to say that I share your enthusiasm for moving towards our default themes
being based on re-using existing CSS frameworks. Tailwind looks great, and
tries to address many concerns that are familiar to us. However, frameworks
like Tailwind go so far beyond what is possible with CSS that they are all
based on tools that extend and enflex CSS: SCSS, Less, etc. In the case of
Tailwind the dependencies are unfamiliar to me but seem to include an
interesting looking mechanism for manipulating CSS within JS. Meanwhile, TW5
itself already incorporates the important functionality of those CSS frameworks
(e.g. making it possible to use maths operators to compute dimensions).

The essence of TW5's internal design is to reuse the same wikification
mechanism for everything, and so I don't want to bring into the core an
alternative mechanism that duplicates what we can do with wikification. So, I
think the approach we'd have to take is to take a static snapshot of the output
of the framework and then use automated tooling to transform it into something
that TW can process. The idea would be to move from specifying parameters at
the time the Tailwind framework is built to doing it dynamically via wikitext
constructions.

It's the kind of thing I'd like to address for v5.2.x

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston