Comments as I work on a concrete example for PMario to see.

UPSIDES

1 - I think use cases will be able to BETTER leverage the more modern
usefully semantically supportive HTML5 elements, like ...

*nav*
*main*
*article*
*section*
*header*
*footer*

2 - open-up much EASIER use of CSS because ...

3 - ... the way that \customize works is a VERY GOOD balance between old
and new WikiText.

DOWNSIDES

1 - Only READABILITY (in the strict Gruber [Markdown] sense) is not so
clear. Part of the issue is CHARACTERS used in markup got EATEN already.

I could write a lot about Unicode and reliability in fonts. BUT the issue
is this: we do NOT actually know clearly WHAT characters are available for
use. The result is that we take from the common European code pages. I am
NOT convinced that is ideal. But can't find any definitive solution that
could embrace Unicode Plane One better.

TT