TT,

Perhaps this quick answer demonstrates what you are after?

\customize tick=q _element="$macrocall" $name=display-macro _srcName=
"wikitext" display="block"
\customize tick=a _element="$macrocall" $name=display-macro _srcName=
"wikitext" display={{!!display-answers}}
\define display-macro(wikitext display:"inline") <span style="display:
$display$;">$wikitext$</span>

´q this is a question
´a This is an answer
´q this is another question
´a This is another answer
answers will only be displayed if the field display-answers on the current
tiddler = block or inline (not none)?

   - The above (may) be achieved only with a customise, but demonstrates
   calling macros with the customise as well.
   - This is achieved using the macrocall widget in part because it allows
   us to use the substitution $display$ to alter the style.

Regards
Tony