I've just verified Xvnc based on xserver 1.6.5 works fine. Note you also
need to bump some modules to fix xserver requirements. Complete patch is
attached on
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3290864&group_id=254363&atid=1126848

Are you able to verify if it is possible to compile xserver 1.6.5 on
legacy systems, please? I have no such system handy right now.

Regards, Adam