On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:37:49 -0500
DRC <dcomman...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> This change makes absolutely no sense.  Please understand that this code
> took hundreds of hours to develop and test.  Any change to it will
> require significant re-testing.  Unless you are willing to do that
> re-testing, please do not touch it without seeking my approval first.
> Please be prepared to justify your change.  I do not see any reason why
> cinfo should be dynamically allocated here.

Chill. Saying that people cannot do any changes without first getting
your seal of approval and/or spending hours of testing even for small
changes is not a constructive way to encourage development on this
project.

The reason those variables are now dynamic is to avoid having to
include jpeglib.h in any other place than JpegCompressor.cxx. We cannot
have undefined structures as part of the class definition in that case,
but pointers to undefined structures is okay.

The reason we want to avoid jpeglib.h as much as possible is for things
like this:

typedef long INT32;
typedef int boolean;

Such generic typedefs have a very high probability of causing
conflicts, and they do in practice with mingw.

(there's also the evil of jconfig.h which is just pure luck that people
aren't seeing more fallout of as it is more or less designed to screw
with projects' own config.h)

If you have a better solution then feel free...

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00