On 9/9/11 3:28 AM, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Chill. Saying that people cannot do any changes without first getting
> your seal of approval and/or spending hours of testing even for small
> changes is not a constructive way to encourage development on this
> project.

With respect to the Tight encoder, I am not trying to encourage
development.  It's a somewhat fragile piece of code that took a lot of
time and domain expertise to get right.  I don't want to change it
unless there is a good reason to, such as a build problem or a new
feature addition.

> The reason those variables are now dynamic is to avoid having to
> include jpeglib.h in any other place than JpegCompressor.cxx. We cannot
> have undefined structures as part of the class definition in that case,
> but pointers to undefined structures is okay.
>
> The reason we want to avoid jpeglib.h as much as possible is for things
> like this:
>
> typedef long INT32;
> typedef int boolean;
>
> Such generic typedefs have a very high probability of causing
> conflicts, and they do in practice with mingw.

Including such information in the commit message or sending a quick note
to the list following the commit would head off a lot of this
misunderstanding.  I accept your reasoning, but I now need to stare at
the code for a bit to make sure there are no side effects to using
dynamic allocation.