Bug Tracker item #2848621, was opened at 2009-09-01 13:01
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by dcommander
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1126848&aid=2848621&group_id=254363

not just the latest update.
Category: Windows version
Group: 1.1.X

Initial Comment:
When AutoSelect=1 is turned on, the JPEG quality settings are discarded and
switched to "6" no matter what it is set to by the viewer when the AutoSelect
routine makes its first selection after logging into a host.
I cannot tell if this a Server or a Client problem.
AutoSelect should be asked to leave JPEG quality alone.  Better, we should be
able to instruct TigerVNC which of the tuneable settings should not be changed.
 This is serious because out of all the tunables, JPEG is the only one that
affects visual quality in non-recoverable ways.
Run vncviewer with settings QualityLevel=8 AutoSelect=1 and all other defaults.
 Log into a host.  After a short moment, we have:
 CConn:       Throughput 1628 kbit/s - changing to quality 6
 CConn:       Using Tight encoding

Date: 2011-09-27 10:56

Message:
JPEG quality is meaningless outside of Tight encoding, and compression
level is meaningless with Hextile, so if AutoSelect is truly selecting an
encoding automatically, then it doesn't make sense that compression level
and quality would remain static.

We are still trying to figure out the best way to do automatic encoding.
The current AutoSelect feature is inherited from RealVNC, which does not
support Tight encoding.  Tight encoding makes ZRLE unnecessary, and I hope
to eventually modify it such that Hextile is also unnecessary (I did this
in TurboVNC by way of the "Lossless Tight" protocol.)  I think that,
eventually, the AutoSelect setting will only select Tight encoding and will
modify the quality level accordingly.  I am working on implementing an
automatic lossless refresh feature that would work in conjunction with low
JPEG quality to provide a mathematically lossless version of the screen
whenever the motion stops.

Comment By: Kriston Rehberg (kriston)
Date: 2011-09-27 09:52

Message:
I believe that If it's truly not supposed to be used, the option should be
disabled in the GUI.
The way it is working right now I would have thought that it would
AutoSelect either Tight, ZRLE, Hextile while the JPEG and compression level
remain static..

Comment By: D. R. Commander (dcommander)
Date: 2011-09-26 13:51

Message:
AutoSelect is actually supposed to be just that-- automatic. If you are
selecting that, it means you are handing over full control of the encoding
properties to the VNC viewer.

The real problem is that AutoSelect is basically broken, as it stands now.
 It really needs to be replaced with a more sophisticated system that
monitors the actual update rate and bandwidth in real time and dials in the
JPEG quality based on that.

As a stopgap, it should be straightforward to set up a reasonable mapping
of bandwidth to quality, but if you want to specifically set the quality
level, then I don't understand why you would want to specify AutoSelect=1
at the same time.  Obviously if you're specifying the QualityLevel, that
means that you want Tight encoding to be used.