I started this out as something to help with a project here before I shared
it on the list.  The replace utility is a quick thing I use that is on most
systems.  I have no issue with changing things for better compatibility and
fewer dependencies.

As for the missing installed size, I never got that complaint when working
from the command line.  I was unsure what to put into that field.  I had
actually hoped that the dpkg-deb command would compute it as I was unsure
how it computed the size.  Does it include the data files and the control
files?  Is that before or after compression etc.  Haven't had a change to
look into it otherwise.

I wondered about the vnc classes too.  I need to dig deeper into the naming
conventions used by the other packages.  That will likely need managed via
the alternatives package as well.

Thank you for the review of the packaging scripts.  More eyes will
definitely make them better.