Thanks for the willingness to incorporate it.  Once we have the basics in
place, I don't think there will be much work to keep it working.  You will
probably want to redo the script to pull the files directly from your build
system instead of post processing the tarball  like my script is doing
though.

The only issue with the libexpat dependency is that it depends on a
symbolic link that does not exist on debian/ubuntu based systems.  It
depends on libexpat.so.0 and debian/ubuntu start naming them at .so.1.
 That is the reason for creating the extra symbolic link and running
ldconfig in the packing.  It works great once it is in place.

Forcing the use of the static libs is a bit annoying.  The simplest hack I
have seen is to add a subdirectory of the project to the library path early
in the path  with -L and then create symbolic links from the static libs to
the lib subdirectory.  Then, the first library found wins.  It is annoying
the both gcc and clang don't have a better way to specify it for specific
libs only...