On Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 09:57:42PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]
It normally does, yes.

> Check in your Start menu tree, and find TigerVNC, and see if there's a menu
> option that sounds like "Start Service" or "Install Service".  If there is,
> choose it, and it probably will pop you up a properties dialog asking you
> to set a server password for that machine.

Under the TigerVNC Start Menu group, there should be "VNC Server
(Service-Mode)" and "VNC Server (User-Mode)" sections. Service-Mode will
allow you to run the server as a windows service, starting automatically
at boot time, and User-Mode allows you to run it under the user account
(you can use the Startup group to auto-run it at login).

If you're the only user on the windows machine then you'll probably want
to use service-mode. Start with the "Configure VNC Service" option to
set up the server - the defaults should be okay I think, except you'll
need to set the password (Security tab, Configure button). Then you'll
need to run "Register VNC Service" and "Start VNC Service".

> *Then* you can run the viewer from the Linux side, and connect.
>
> > How can I tell if my Win7 system is or is not running a server?
>
> If you do Ctrl-Alt-Delete, you can start the Task Manager, and you
> will or won't see a process in the Processes tab labeled with VNC in
> its name.
>
> > What sort of designator does vncviewer need in order to know which
> > specific server to connect to? Is that a dotted-quad IPv4 address,
> > or something else?
>
> Yes; an IPv4 numeric address (or a working DNS hostname that points to one).

HTH,
    Robin

--
     ___