In message <26596822.196.1386557862358.javamail.r...@benjamin.baylink.com>,
Jay Ashworth <j...@baylink.com> wrote:

>> From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <r...@tristatelogic.com>
>>
>> Then, figuring that the Win7 install had started up a tigervnc
>> server on that (Win7) machine for me,
>
>This, I think, is where you fell off.

Yes, it would appear so.  Thanks!

>> OK, so what did I do wrong?
>
>I think that what you did wrong was to either not tell the Windows machine
>to start the service when you were asked... or not tell it to start the
>service even though you weren't asked.  :-)

I wasn't ever asked.

But if I had thought about it for a few seconds, I suppose that I really
should have realized that for any sensible kind of network-enabled "server"
type thingy, it is bloody obvious that at some point it will be necessary
to establish a password for the thing... _and_ I suppose that I also should
have realized that the simple fact that I hadn't done that, (or even been
asked to do that) indicated, logically, that I had not actually and properly
set up the server part of this connection.

Oh well.  I know now.

>Check in your Start menu tree, and find TigerVNC, and see if there's a menu
>option that sounds like "Start Service" or "Install Service".  If there is,
>choose it, and it probably will pop you up a properties dialog asking you
>to set a server password for that machine.
>
>*Then* you can run the viewer from the Linux side, and connect.

Got it.  Thanks again.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Being a brand new newbie, I probably shouldn't start out, right off
the bat, making suggestions to the developers, however that never having
stopped me before....

I do believe that the install process, in particular for Windows (where
things like man pages generally don't exist) could perhaps benefit from
the addition of some little pop-up note or something, telling the newbie
user, in effect "Hey dude!  If you desire to run the TigerVNC *server*
on this machine, then you will also also need to do thus-and-such, after
the basic install process completes."

Just a thought.  Probably worth what you paid for it.